Let’s have a backyard movie night with s’mores.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post.
Spread s’more love this summer with a handmade s’mores sign and use our tips for an outdoor movie night that the whole family will love. This is our favorite activity to do as a family as soon as the weather gets warm.
Put together a fun s’mores kit for a backyard movie night this summer. The whole family is going to love this idea and it’s so easy to do. Mix and match what you already have at home to put together the box, make our handmade sign in about 30-minutes, and purchase your s’mores ingredients from Walmart. If you want to make this kit for a special occasion simply add straws, napkins (or plates), and other decor to reflect the holiday, such as Memorial Day.
What are s’mores ingredients?
There are only three ingredients you need and you can find them all at your local Walmart.
How to make s’mores
Put one of the Jet-Puffed Marshmallows onto a long skewer and put it into the fire or on top of the coals. Toast it however you like. Some people like it charred, others just like a little bit of color on it. My daughter loves having hers charred.
Break off three pieces of Hershey’s chocolate and put them onto a Graham Cracker, your marshmallow goes on top of that, and then a second Graham Cracker. This makes a delicious dessert sandwich. I have one child who prefers her chocolate on top of the marshmallow though.
Outdoor movie night tips
Here are a few tips for hosting a backyard movie night that everyone will love.
- Put out skewers for everyone to toast their marshmallows over the fire. The longer the better, especially for little hands.
- Keep your Hershey’s chocolate bars wrapped so that they don’t melt. You can put the Honey Maid Graham Crackers and Jet-Puffed Marshmallows into glass jars though for quick and easy access.
- Citronella candles will keep the bugs at bay, not only from your food but also from you.
- Make sure you have plenty of firewood and a lighter.
- Test out your movie projector and screen ahead of time so that there are no hiccups once everyone is outside.
- Don’t forget blankets, pillows, and chairs.
- Make sure to put out napkins for messy fingers.
How to put together a s’mores box for an outdoor movie night
The first thing I want to show you is how to make our spread s’more love sign. This craft project will take about 30-minutes and we even have the printable words for you.
Supplies Needed to Make a S’more Sign
- Plain wood sign (they carry these at Walmart in the craft department)
- Our printable spread s’more love words (or you can make your own)
- White paint and paintbrush
Instructions for Making a S’more Sign
Download our free spread s’more love printable. Cut out the letters and trace around them with a marker on the wood sign. Paint the inside of the letters with two coats of white paint, and then gently sand it a little with sandpaper to give it a worn look.
- Plain wood sign
- White paint
- Either print our words or create your own. Cut out the letters and trace around them onto the wood.
- Paint inside each letter with two coats of white paint.
- Once dry gently sand over the words with sandpaper to make them look worn.
Invite neighbors, friends, and family over to have your own backyard movie night this summer. It’s so much fun!
Watch our video below to see how our s’mores movie night box came together.
Are you planning an outdoor movie night for your family and friends this summer?